Sunday, July 10, 2011

Noticing

A knitted indigo dress, and her hair like fast water at night spilling one shoulder; he said, 'That doesn't really surprise us, Miss Wong.'
Surprise, he thought. She puts her hand on the bar, she leans back on the stool, hip moving in knitted blue, and with each movement, I am amazed, surprised, bewildered.
Samuel R. Delany Babel-17
--
I loved "Babel-17" by Samuel R. Delany. I would've loved it anyway, however the mention of a knitted dress worn by the main heroine made me like this book just a tiny bit more. Are there any insignificant details in the books that make them more special to you, while other people wouldn't even notice them?

1 comment:

Annie said...

I am sure there are, but what your question made me think of, instead, is how some books make me see what is actually around me in different ways.... I particularly love Barbara Pym, in part because when I'm reading one of her books I find amusing little details around me all day.